March 25th, 2019
The Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) together with Waterloo Region Assembly of Public School Councils (WRAPSC) and Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) are hosting a series of free events for parents and caregivers.
The theme for this year’s event is PARENT ENGAGEMENT: Lets Build Our Toolkit for Success.
Registration for these events is required.
Date: Wednesday, March 27, 2019
Time: 6 – 9 p.m.
Location: Bluevale Collegiate Institute – 80 Bluevale Street North, Waterloo
Topics at this event include mental health, building relationships with students with special needs, navigating the school system and fostering digital citizenship and creating a positive online presence.
- Angela Sider – Mental Health
- Janine Oosterveld – Building Relationships with Students with Special Needs
- Faryal Anwar – Navigating the School System
- Melissa Stark – Fostering Digital Citizenship and Supporting the Creation of a Positive Online Presence
Date: Saturday, March 30, 2019
Time: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Location: Elmira District Secondary School – 4 University Avenue, Elmira
Topics at this event include parent engagement, helping parents and caregivers build a community of respect and consent, the role of music in children’s mental health and how to create emotionally safe and empowering spaces.
- Theresa Pastore – Parent Engagement
- Stacey Jacobs – Helping Parents Build a Community of Respect and Consent
- Natalie Reis – The Role of Music in Children’s Mental Health
- Rachel Weinstock – How to Create Emotionally Safe and Empowering Spaces
Date: Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Time: 6 – 9 p.m.
Location: Galt Collegiate Institute – 200 Water Street North, Cambridge
Topics at this event include how to support your child with anxiety, why connecting with nature is important, speaking to your child about race and talking to your child about cannabis.
- Barb Shannon – Anxiety: How You Can Support Your Child
- Rob Klea – Why Connecting To Nature is Important
- Pauline Janke – Speaking to Your Child About Race
- Ruth Cordukes – Talking to Your Child About Cannabis
Childcare is available for children over the age of two and is provided at no additional cost.
Any questions about the event, registration or to request transportation or translation assistance, please contact PIC at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-570-0003 ext. 4555.